is this a sponge??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
one rock has like 80 of these growing on it this the biggest as of yet mabe an 1/2 inch across

819sponge-med.jpg

Can't tell if it's a sponge or possibley a montipora capricornus. Any chance of a pic that's a bit better focused?

Cheers
Steve

i will try again tonight !! i had like 3 pics of these but for some reason when i shrunk them and saved them on a floppy to bring into work half of them wont download onto my pc here !! weird !!
dont look like a sponge to me personaly but not sure (have seen sponges in the keys that shape but alot darker in color !! and i dont get my fenner books back till next week when im in florida !!

just looked that up !! i hope its those !! always liked them but didnt think my lighting would be enough for such a coral !!! but they were not on the rock when i got it so must be ok with the lighting i have very very cool !!

so thinking and this might be a dumb ? but if its a coral shouldnt it have poylps that come out of it ?!?!? mabe they to small to see right now but doesnt look like that there are any !!

M. capricornus does not usually have visible polyp extention through the entire coral. You might see a few here and there but can easily be missed if your not looking carefully.

What kind of lighting? I have a few pieces in my 90 gal under 4x96w PC that do very well, including some digitata and a yellow encrusting monti.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom