Is this a Zoa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandHopper

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've a fairly new 90 gallon ... I've bought NO corals, but I used lots of cultured live rock when I started it.

So... it's been running for over a month now, and I noticed this little thing in a crevice in one of the "live" live rocks... maybe a hitchhiker Zoanthid??? It doesn't seem to be a tube worm/duster as i've never seen it closed up and it's been 3-4 days now since I first noticed it.

AquaZoaMaybe1.jpg

AquaZoaMaybe2.jpg

It's pretty much dead-center in the pictures... they're the best I could come up with. It appears to be anchored to the rock on a little stalk about 1/2 cm long... the whole thing is about 1 cm across.

It looks like feathers duster. I have tons of growing on my rock. Dont know if thats a good or bad thing though.

Looks like a zoa. Aptasia usually have longer tentacles. Feather dusters dont have a disc base

Of you go near it with say a pencil or something, does it completely retract? Vanish into the rock?

sorry guys... it appears to be a worm/duster of some kind.

I finally remembered to check it before the lights came on this morning (too hard to reach to try to "touch" it) and it was fully retracted into its tube.

I'm happy with dusters as well, but was thinking I might have gotten a free starter of Zoas as hitchhiker. :)

Back
Top Bottom