Is this Aiptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard Joe's Juice works good. Also, got any peppermint shrimp? They can keep new growths at bay, but maybe not help with the big ones.

P.S. - Ya'll sure it's not another type of anenome? Looks more delicate than most aptasia I've seen.

austinsdad said:
P.S. - Ya'll sure it's not another type of anenome? Looks more delicate than most aptasia I've seen.

yeah, i'm new, but I guarantee you that the aiptasia in my tank (which i would love to get rid of) is a whole lot more... hardy than that looks.

Young aptasia look like that and I have one in a low light tank that is almost identical to that one. Being in low light and pretty much starved has caused it to not reproduce apparently since it is the only one I have that I know of but yeah, just like all anemones, they can loose color and substance if the conditions aren't right. And, young aptasia in my experience are translucent and frail looking.
You could always leave it and see how it turns out, that's up to you.

Hmmm, ok thanks all. It's probably been there a while, I just turned the rock over. Can't see any others as yet.
I have read that Butterfly fish can help control this. Is that true? I have a Copperbanded Butterfly on order , should pick it up tomorrow. Had it ordered for a while....it would be a bonus if it could help clean this up.

second-hand advice

Hi, I had what I thought might be aptasia, but turned out not to be, but I got some advice from an expert in these things in the meantime which I'll share with you. I hope you find it helpful.

He said that if you think it is, you want to get rid of it in a way that won't disturb it, because sometimes they will release spores and suddenly you'll have them all over your tank. He suggested a couple of ways:

1: peppermint shrimps - they love aptasia, although if you have other small anemones growing and want to keep them the shrimps would go after them too.
2: put coral glue on it, completely covering it.

I'm really glad what I have didn't turn out to be, as he went on to explain what nasty little buggers these guys are. :twisted:

Good luck!

PS. Of course there is always a small possibility that it could be a baby anemone like my Bartholomea Annulata, but since it isn't hiding it's base under a rock, it probably isn't.

Attachments

• coral3_002.jpg
    coral3_002.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom