Is this Aiptasia? or a fan worm? or what? OUT OF CONTROL!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoleIsStoked

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

It's been a while. Almost a year ago I set up my first marine tank ever and everything has been doing awesome so far. I've had very very few losses and I love my tank. (off topic, i just discovered that flasher wrasse sounds like FlashUrAss! hahaha!)
Anyways, for a while now have had this viney root looking stuff growing in one particular rock and there are little opening and closing heads on all of them.
About two months ago, I noticed that my AC110 filter was FULL of it. It looks like vines are intertwined. I took the filter off and cleaned it out, and took out that one rock (it happens to be closest to the intake) and poured boiled water over it, and then put it back in the tank.
Well now I just noticed that my filter is full again and whatever it is is on several rocks. I've tried my best to snap a few pictures. Any idea what this is? It doesn't seem to be doing any harm, but it's growing and growing and growing!
31361av.jpg

wvq2w5.jpg

They are small feather dusters, which are a type of tube worm. They are not harmful in any way, but when the grow out of control the can clog things up sometimes. If conditions are favorable they can spread very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom