Is this Aptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
22engine said:
Not sure it's the dark brown reddish things in the middle of the pics on the LR. Went to work for 38 hours and came home to see this. Kinda looks like it based on a search I did but wanna be sure before I kill it. Thanks

Yeah it looks like a struggling aiptasia.

It looks like it could be a rock anemone but it's hard to see with it retracted. I personally have found that aiptasia is either out or retracted into a hole in the rock so you can't see it but I'm sure that isn't always the case. Keep an eye on it and once it opens snap a pic and post it.

kdpuffer said:
It looks like it could be a rock anemone but it's hard to see with it retracted. I personally have found that aiptasia is either out or retracted into a hole in the rock so you can't see it but I'm sure that isn't always the case. Keep an eye on it and once it opens snap a pic and post it.

Ok will do. Ya that piece has been in there for over two weeks and this is the first I see of it

I'm no expert but I did have apistasia before I got a pep shrimp. And it looked nothing like that. It was of a translucent brown

That's my other thought I have been looking at a lot of pics and they seem a brown color this is more a dark red. I am eating to see if it will open up. My stock lights are on. I am going to look at some AL Sol blue today not sure if I am going to bite the bullet or not on 479 for the fixture and controller

22engine said:
That's my other thought I have been looking at a lot of pics and they seem a brown color this is more a dark red. I am eating to see if it will open up. My stock lights are on. I am going to look at some AL Sol blue today not sure if I am going to bite the bullet or not on 479 for the fixture and controller

While it might be something else, my bet is still on aiptasia. They can be anywhere from translucent to a reddish color. Ive seen many that close up or have been out of water, stressed etc and they close up like that and shrink.

My bet is still on aiptasia but a better pic will confirm or dismiss my suspicions.

Schism said:
Actually the more i look at it the more i dont know lol. Need more pics;)

Well I am at the LFS now deciding on if I should buy the AL Sol Blue so I will take a pic when I get back

Well I was going to take a new picture buty turbo snail is currently crawling right over it. It curled up into a round ball shape as the turbo got close

22engine said:
Well I was going to take a new picture buty turbo snail is currently crawling right over it. It curled up into a round ball shape as the turbo got close

If that's the case, then it's probably a Corynactis anemone. Also known as a jewel or a ball ( for obvious reasons) anemone.

Flreefer said:
If that's the case, then it's probably a Corynactis anemone. Also known as a jewel or a ball ( for obvious reasons) anemone.

Are those bad. There is like a green ring around it now that I shut the white day lights off. Can't get a pic cause all I have is my iPhone and everything looks blue on the camera. It doesn't look great whatever it is. My AL SOL blue led fixture will be going in sometime in the next few days maybe that will help it come out

No, it's not bad. It is an anemone though, it has the ability to sting its neighbor, and if it got really big, possibly snag a tiny fish. But they don't proliferate like Aptasia or Majano Nems, it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom