Is this diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jendiver09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have been having issues with this stuff for months now. Not sure now that it's diatoms. Any other suggestions? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403650747.120899.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes it is. How old is the tank?

It's about 14 months. We have tried every chemical on the market to try and get rid of it. We do biweekly water changes. We have vacuumed the sand, we changed all the filters and membranes in our RO system. It just keeps coming back instantly. We got the chemi pure elite and it's actually gotten worse and now green algae is growing on top of the red.

Hi there
What are your phos and nitrate readings also how long do you leave your lights on for plus how much circulation do you have in your tank all these may tribute to to your problem

Lights are on for 8 hours. Every level is normal/none even phosphates. We have two wave makers. 75 gal tank

lighting has no effect/influence on diatoms, they utilize silica and it is the excess silica that is providing them with nutrients.
What type of sand/substrate did you use?

We are too. The only thing I can think of is we wash the filters in the washing machine with no detergent. Could this be the issue? Should we then rinse with RO water afterwards?

We are too. The only thing I can think of is we wash the filters in the washing machine with no detergent. Could this be the issue? Should we then rinse with RO water afterwards?

certainly couldn't hurt

do you have a refugium and using any mud?
I ask because I have a small in-tank one with Fiji mud in it. Whenever it has gotten stirred up and some of the mud/silt gets into the main tank, I will often have a bloom of diatoms for about a week afterwards.

Yes we have a refugium. Not sure if it's mud based or something else. It's grey and black granules

Are you using any macro algae in your refugium?

How about a clean up crew?Some critters to stir up the sand?

We have 5 Caribbean peppermint shrimp. We had two emerald crabs but one died in feb after we lost electricity for a few days and the other just recently died but they don't touch that stuff and we have had the issue for 9 months continuously now.

Back
Top Bottom