is this green algae good or bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad3314

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi all aquarium friends :cool:

is this green algae good or bad it doesn't seem to be out of control it is mainly just in this one spot and some tiny specs in a few other spots tank has been running for a bit over a month

there is brown stuff showing up to i'm guessing that is just diatoms

Attachments

• IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 267
I think it looks cool tbh. No algae can really be described as "bad" because all it is doing is sucking up the excess nitrates and phosphates.

It depends the fish u have if it can be "bad" but if this problem keeps occurring get a alge eater or other fish who live or snack on alge maybe a ****ation Molly they are beautiful and snack on alge but they mate fast so if u dont frys then good lick and if u get one search up what it gets along with btw alge fishes get along with like everyfish

yes it does rub off it is only growing where the light is sitting as i don't have a full length light at the moment so thinking it's probably lights on to long or bad bulbs or combination of both should i leave the light off for now ? nothing else in the tank other than two tomato clowns

I would do a water change and cut the lights back to bare minimum. Are the bulbs in your fixture old? Maybe they need replacing. :)

I am using ro/di water and yes the bulbs are fairly old so i would say its a combination of things as i havent done any water change yet either all test are still 0 but will do 10% today

I am keen to get a led fixture but they sound complicated and hard to get hold of most of the ones i can find are diy i have only have an old 2ft fluro light on it at the moment i also have a 150w mh but i havent been running it due to heat issues

It depends on the depth of the tank, and the fixture itself. If the tank is about 24" or less, then it would be good, but they would need individual reflectors. Also, make sure to get 4 or more bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom