Is this shell part of rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygrrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm cycling this aquarium and only have live rock and rock but it seems the shell has opened and closed on occasion. When I purchased the rock I thought it was just an old shell part of the rock. Is the green okay on the rock? Could this shell possibly a home for something?

If the rock has been kept live, the clam is probably alive too. Or only recently dead.

Hope I wasn't supposed to feed it. Is it ok just to leave there? How do you normally know if they are alive. We saw it open a few times and I added some dry rock and found it closed today

Did the rock dry out completely on the drive home? I've had rock shipped three days only kept damp and lots of things survived on it.

It was damp. Taken from a reef a store was taking down. We placed it in a cooler and they put some paper over it. I placed it right in the water.

Lots of things probably survived. They'll start to show up once your cycle is complete, which shouldn't take long with that rock :)

Also, I want some easy coral at some point. Before I never tried and probably made a dumb mistake of over stocking. This time I'm trying to plan just a few fish or shrimp and some coral or things

It just looks like algae. Keep the water in check and it won't be a problem. Xenia is fairly easy. That was my first coral and now I can't get rid of the stuff

The sun will definitely play a part in it. But as long as you keep the excess nutrients in the water down it should be well controlled.

Back
Top Bottom