Isopod type creature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm sorry for posting without a good pic, but hopefully I can at least describe this new creature and get a possible ID. I notice 15-20 of these little creatures in my new 12G Nanocube. They look similar to isopods but move very slowly and are always sitting on the glass. Most isopods I have seen are much bigger than these guys and much more active. They look to have a hard shell and lots of little legs. Even after being swept off the glass they just walk around slowly and eventually end up back on the glass.

Ok, so maybe that wasn't the best description, I apologize. But if anyone has any ideas or can post some pics to help identify these guys, I would appreciate it. Thanks all!!

tripper

Thanks Steve, I was hoping you would respond to this. From the links you posted, my guys mostly resemble the Sphaeromatid isopod. According to the site they are harmless scavengers. Hopefully they are right!!

Thanks again for your help. If I can get a pic tonight I will post and see if you can confirm for me.

tripper

You would be suprised at the number of reported isopods that are actually harmless detrivor/herbavor species. Hopefully yours is one of those many.

If you get a pic, please definately post it. 8)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom