Killer Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I've seen these snails before on TV and they have a spear that shoots out of the tube above it's head, am I wrong? Came on LR.com order

Attachments

• feb_002_204.jpg
    feb_002_204.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 100
Correct pic

Attachments

• feb_002_103.jpg
    feb_002_103.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 77
  • feb_tank_002.jpg
    feb_tank_002.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 117
Hey at least with my posting error, I figured out after a year how to put more than one pic on a post :roll:

A red foot is usually a sign of a predaceous snail although not conclusive. The shell shape does suggest a whelk of some type. Conus also have a red foot but the shell shape on this is wrong.

Cheers
Steve

I have 2 of those guys in my tank. I've only noticed them grazing live rock, and only at night. They seem to be nocturnal.

This is the closest thing I could find to it.

http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/s...pID=9&shapeID=1093&curPageNum=6&recnum=SS0055

Nobody on here could ID it when I posted a pic. of it the other day. The only reason I think this is it is for one it has a red foot, and two, I recieved it from LR.com Keys rock and the Florida Horse Conch lives around Florida.

...if I'm wrong and somone can ID it, please do.

Don't think it's a horse conch (no fluted snout) but could very well be a type of conch. Since you mentioned lr.com, I looked on their species page. It could be a species of Engina.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom