Knew it was coming... ID's please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
Ok, I knew this day would come, and dont expect it to be the last either :) I've got what I'm almost certain is a feather duster, though i've never seen one like this. It looks like a hard white skeleton type thing with little feathers sticking out. I also noticed that if i turn off the PH, it retracts in. Feather duster?
img_1103059_0_7d8b976911752fbe8dd63ed12de6079e.jpg

img_1103059_1_fd880ebe0c78f981318ef97a806f88df.jpg

img_1103059_2_9023552b83c92f2071ea83a58fcb97fb.jpg

Now, this I'm thinking is a sponge?
img_1103059_3_fed972f2f1c521cf5729661292ebe3fa.jpg

And this... well i have no guess... there are tons of tiny green 'stalks' sticking out of the rock. they seem to get bigger every day. A couple have a few tips on them that resemble a BTA... Any ideas? ps, i know there's algae all over it... could that be the green stalky stuff?

img_1103059_4_7278f527473872d153dc2a053c3e909a.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics btw

The first looks like a feather duster (or dusters) to me. The second looks like a sponge to me, but I'm not 100%. Not sure about the stalks though. Some of the gurus will be along shortly I'm sure. :)

Thanks Kristin. I'm almost positive its a feather duster, even though it looks nothing like any i've seen except the 'feathers' ... there are also tons of things that look like roots sticking out of all the rocks. I'm not sure if thats good or bad. Again, sorry for the horrible picture quality. the inside of the glass is pretty dirty which made it super hard to focus. I'm moving hopefully in early may, june at the latest, and I fully plan on having another 10g clean and ready to go so i can just move everything over and get rid of some of the gunk.

It's about time the young one gave into the dark side. :vader:

well, i've only had it for a week or two... HN1, maybe vermetid worms? not really sure based on the pics google had... of course, my (presumable) feather duster doesnt either lol

Just a shot in the dark really. I'd wait to hear from Mike, Larry, etc.

The 1st 1's are calcium based tube worms, probably Serpula.sp. I have lots growing on the walls in my sump. The 2nd might be a sponge...too hard to tell. The last 1, if it were me, I would take the rock out, put it in a bucket of saltwater and scrub everything off it. Looks like there are some vermitid snails, maybe some colonial hydroids and some nusiance algae. All in all, I think you would be better off giving it a good scrub.

Last edited:
great, thanks :) I will plan on scrubbing that piece when i move, probably within the next two weeks... its right on the bottom so it would require taking out all the other pieces to get it out, something i really dont wanna do until i have to. any downside to waiting a couple weeks?

They might spread. I don't think that they will though, because of all of the ammonia. But once your cycle finishes (soon, if it's not already done I'm guessing) they could go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom