Little Glass Ball???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CBRGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got some rock today from lr.com and there is a little greenish semi-translucent ball about the size of a pearl, which is hard and looks like it is made out of glass. Do you guys have any idea what it may be:?:

TIA

Steve.

I would say that it is bubble algea. Dont pop it in the water that will only cause it to spread. Take the rock out and use some tweezers to get it off then put the rock back in the tank

valonia

Bubble algae...Valonia, I think it is called.

Sometimes, if conditions are right, this can be a problem algae. I've never had a problem with it.

Grab one...hold it 3 inches from your nose and squeeze it real hard!! :twisted: (kidding...don't sue me!)

Bubble Alge, If your carefull you don't need to remove the rock to pull it out. If it's a older spore, it will be very hard, gently take it off with your fingers...

Cool Thanks... I will leave it in there and see what happes. :)

no dont leave it just grab it (when you touch it you will see it is actually pretty hard) and pull it off , its not much work :wink:

macroalgae

... Good grief...SOME macroalgae in an aquarium is normal and even healthy. One bubble algae is not a plague that has to be eraticated. If there are nutrients in the aquarium, something is going to grow. I would rather it be a small green bubble, than furry, stringy algae.

I had the same thing. I removed about 6 or 8 bubbles from a corner of my LR and a couple of days later has a clear bubble appear. these are bubble algae in it's early stages. had them in the tank for a couple of mos. and didn't spread at all.

valonia isn't as problematic as some algeas. Some people even find them attactive. I generally leave them along until I have more than a "few" before I remove any. Heck, brnd and I know a guy who has them the size of golfballs and tangerines. They are so old some are even encrusting in coraline! And as Brad said, would you rather have a little bubble algea eating excessive nuetrients in your tank than say hair algea?

Back
Top Bottom