Live rock has turned green...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanp88

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a quick question about my live rock. My tank has been set up for about 4-5 months. Most of my live rock is turning green. My phospates are 0 as well as nitrates. I have a clean-up crew of snails crabs. I had a outbreak of hair algea which is coming to an end and I am wondering if the hair algea has stained the rock green. Will it ever change back to the color the rock was originally? I have a nitrate remover, Uv sterilizer and have done everything I can think of for this tank. I tested RO water at nitrates are 0. Any thoughts?

I also have this sort of problem on some of my rocks. Whats the BEST way to remove hair algae

Is the green a growing algae and can you scrap it off with your fingernail. It may be a green coralline algae and is just a phase and will turn back to pink as your water gets stable.
Hahaha mike and I posted at the same time.....

It does not appear to be growing , it looks like the rock itself is stained green. Nothing to scrape off. Water is very clear but rocks are green. Some hair algea still in the tank. I do have several areas that a purple color are showing up and I believe that could be scraped off but Im sure that is coraline algea and I will leave it be but the green is just the rock itself. I will try and get pics on for you.

Some of you guys would have a heart attack if you saw my tank lol. I really don't have a massive thing against algae. Just so long as it's not at ridiculous levels. My side walls are covered in a layer of short hair algae. It looks great in the current. The back wall has some longer stuff that gets removed and coralline is forming. As for the rocks, they're clean.

Just a little here, not much...
img_1078537_0_711a8c008400616fbb9c7dbfa756628c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom