Live rock inhabitant...creepy!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookechooka89

Aquarium Advice Regular
Check out my 2 videos I've just uploaded on YouTube, I have no idea what this little guy is...very small, with some type of long snout that pops in and out of the live rock, reaches around and snaps up small bits of detritus , then retracts back into the live rock just as quick!! Look pretty much middle of the live rock and wait for a movement...it's that quick, you may need to play the vid a couple of times to see it.

Any help would be great...so intrigued!

Live rock dweller ... Can anyone ID ? has a long and thin snout thing that pops in and out to eat - YouTube

Live rock dweller ... Creepy ... What is it ?? - YouTube

Cheers,

Brooke

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure if it's a barnacle???

It pops out of all different holes of the liverock (very quickly might I add) and only flicks like a thin long snout/tongue thing that it's obviously grabbing bits of detritus from.

Aren't barnacles fan shaped with many long appendages to grab detritus and are situated in an encrusted shell-type canopy that is permanently attached to the outside of live rock?

This has one single appendage that come out from inside the live rock which grabs around and picks up detritus to bring back in the live rock...what makes you think it is a barnacle?

Wiki:9
Barnacles are encrusters, attaching themselves permanently to a hard substrate. The most common, "acorn barnacles" (Sessilia), are sessile, growing their shells directly onto the substrate.[2] The order Pedunculata ("goose barnacles" and others) attach themselves by means of a stalk.[2]

Most barnacles are suspension feeders; they dwell continually in their shell – which is usually constructed of six plates[2] – and reach into the water column with modified legs. These feathery appendages beat rhythmically to draw plankton and detritus into the shell for consumption.[3]

HA!!! I worked it out.....

IT IS A BARNACLE!.....BARNACLE PENIS!

For anyone interested - here is a video link of barnacles mating. I am still interested to know how a barnacle is INSIDE the live rock.

http://vimeo.com/m/7461478

Back
Top Bottom