?! Live Rock Secretion?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dianihp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My purple live rock started growing those little brown things on it I've noticed some hairlike things sometimes crawling around it.. I also realized that since I introduced the live rock this yellowish substance has appeared on the sand. This morning I realized where it comes from the liverock!! ?? I saw what looked like a hole from the rock "pooping" or secreting that yellow looking substance. What is it??!?!!

Attachments

• image-3332395556.jpg
    image-3332395556.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 167
  • image-1068412401.jpg
    image-1068412401.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 170
Is there something living or dying in the hole?

New live rock takes time to cycle, there could be all manner of things living in it that might not adjust well to shipping and captive life.

Looks like "Hydroids" and that's a sign of to much nutrients in the water. How old is your tank and what are the parameters?

There seems to be a hairlike worm living in there or several different things.. This live rock is quite different from the others i've purchased.

I don't think it's bristle worms what I have seen is that the extend this type of thin string over to another piece of live rock and they use it to get over to the other side..

Attachments

• image-533012578.jpg
    image-533012578.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 120
  • image-1809006800.jpg
    image-1809006800.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 123
That's a cool behavior.

Most live rock hitchhikers are harmless detrivores. An id would be nice, but just keep an eye on them for now.

Caribbean worm snail? Google images don't provide an accurate picture of it though. They just show random snails.

Back
Top Bottom