*Look* I felt like taking photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
#1 What kind of crabs are these?
#2 Are they bad?

I got new shells for the hermits today. Hope they get into them....

More crabs and the hermits too...........

I was bored and caught them up close. There is at least five kinds of these crabs (red ones) in the tank.

those red hermits look like mexican red legs that I have seen before. But they could also be much larger species. I looked around for those hairy looking ones and all I could come p with is that they are probably predatory. The little red guy almost looks like a mithrax crab but the claws aren't quite right.

My wife is posting these (I am at work). Yes they are scarlet hermits. I bought 100 of them.

The first three crab pics I would agree are probably preditory. Although, not much of a threat while small, they may be later on. The red crab in the middle does look like a mythrax crab. An algae eater like the emerald.

The last hermit looks like a scarlet hermite, a great addition. The red looking one looks like a mythrax like fluff said.

The hairy looking crabs could be a type of decorator crab but I doubt it. In a tank your size, they shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as they stay somewhat small you might be in the clear. You could try setting up some glass cup traps baited with some meaty foods.

Back
Top Bottom