LPS (?) Purple edge coral ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luntiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
DSCF0036.JPG

Picked it up the other day, think its a fungia, not too sure.

Okay, now that we know its a fungia, where should it be placed? I am running a barebottom system so I have no sand, will the rocks be okay or will it eventually die?

errr... I don't rightly know as I have never run barebottomed. Generally on the substrate and ensure there are no air bubbles trapped underneath it (this is not good and can kill it) I would think the bottom would be fine, but I would avoid the rocks, though a nice flat one would probably work.

Nice Plate Coral! This is from the Borneman book..."they should be placed on a soft or rubble bottom to prevent damage from falls, which are quite likely given their propensity for movement." Looks like yours is fungia repanda. Good luck with it...Lando

Thanks for the ID, is the repanda's tenticles even shorter than the other ones? I googled the repanda and it seems as though the tenticles are one of the shortest I've seen on any Fungia.

The tentacles are often no more than little "stubbies" on this species. They do have beautiful coloration and can grow quite fast given the right lighting and chemistry. For the most part placing it on the tank bottom shouldn't be too much a concern as long as the edges are not touching nearby rocks. They will "walk" about so don't be suprised if you need to keep moving it. You may also want to tip the coral and clear any debris from underneath it occasionally.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom