LR & hair algae -- i think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought about 8lbs more LR for my established 30g tank. I alreay have about 15 lbs. The lfs claims it is all fully cured and and it does not smell bad, but just to be safe I plan on curing it myself. However: It has some green, hair like algae (Hair algae, i assume) on it from the lfs (i guess).

How should I handle this. Will it go away during my home curing process (no real light source)? Will my turbo snails have a treat when I put it in my main tank? Or do I need to do something now?

The algae will die off from lack of light while curing. I'm fighting a hair algae problem as well but mine didn't show up until after my LR was in my tank. I've been told you can remove the algae that may remain, after curing, with a brush before you place it in your tank. I wouldn't depend on your snails to get rid of the algae after its established but they will help control it before it becomes a big problem if you have enough.

Back
Top Bottom