Mantis shrimp????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

land locked

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found this today perched on my devils hand coral. I was not at night it was afternoon. He was fairly easy to catch. I think it is a mantis shrimp but I have never seen one this color. Is it good or is it bad? He is just under 1 inch long. Have never seen anything like this in my tank before.:confused:

Attachments

• P7150216.jpg
    P7150216.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 66
  • P7150219.jpg
    P7150219.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 63
  • P7150222.jpg
    P7150222.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 64
It could be or a camel shrimp. Have you heard any clicking?

I have not heard any clicking and it really does not have any claws to speak of. I will try to get a picture of it out of the water once I have someone home to hold the camera. Looking at the online pics of a camel, I am not so sure, and the more I look at the pics of a mantis the less I think it is that either. Totally no clue.:rolleyes:

Be very careful, if it is a mantis, they have a nasty pinch! Some have been know to crack the glass of an aquarium, just so you know their potential. If you could get a pic of the claws, that would help. The mantis shrimp will have claws that are tucked under like a praying mantis...if that helps.

I don't see any claws. Here are some more pictures. One on the dropper, one on his side out of the water (on the wood), one upside down in the water bucket, and one on his side in the bucket of water. I don't see claws. However I have a coral banded that sniped my pistol shrimps big claw off a few weeks ago, no snapping from him either;) I don't know if this helps but I also have a peppermint and a blood red fire shrimp. 4 shrimp total, well 5 with this little guy. I have him in a bucket until I know what he is though.

Attachments

• P7150223.jpg
    P7150223.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 61
  • P7150230.jpg
    P7150230.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 64
  • P7150224.jpg
    P7150224.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 57
  • P7150226.jpg
    P7150226.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 66
Those are much better pics. I agree with Cindy.
It should turn reddish at night.

Yep! No doubt about it now that I google imaged it. It is a Saron. They come in many colors. I put him back in the tank but I am getting conflicting information on the net about reef compatability. Some sites say no, others say with caution. Does anyone have any experiences with them in their reef tank?
Thanks guys for identifying him, I appreciate the help and enjoy finding a new hitchhiker especially since he is a good one, well maybe for the reef.

Are you talking about reef safe? If so, I don't believe they are. If you look at your 1st pic, it is on a coral......

I have read they might eat zoas, star polyps and small soft corals.

Back
Top Bottom