Maybe a coral? Help with ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry me wrong. Ooopps. The corals are part of the familt group called xeniidae which includes xenia, anthelia amd efflatounaria corals,( pulsing,pom pom and waving hand), the coral that you and i have are called anthelia, they like strong flow and strong lighting ( well for a softie any way) hope this helps. I got this info from one of my books called the Marine reef aquarium handbook. I highly recommend it lots of pictures and info on corals and there needs.

Try it and see what happens. The worst that can happen is it doesn't spread, or color up. As long as you don't have soft coral eaters/nippers you should be fine.

They are lovely, not as popular as the pulsing xenia but just as nicec ive had mine in my tank for 2 months now and its spreading like hell.that is under 20 x 3watt leds tho

I just bought a 28x3 watt led. 20-10k and 8-actinic, it's for a 37g. So that's good enough to grow what you have

Perfect they will do it, maybe even some lps eg hammerheads, torch corals the easier ones i

Good I'm glad. Someone told me before on this forum that I wouldn't be able to grow anything with these lights

You can i have à couple of lps myself a hammerhead, plate coral,frogspawn and a hammerhead, what depth is your tank

I'm gonna go with the 55x3 watt reef breeders led unit on my 38 gallon. Have any of you tried these leds? I've read a lot of good reviews on them.

To be honest with you i dont really know its just somethink that I got told by a good lfs in my area

...the coral that you and i have are called anthelia...

I don't think the corals in the photo's are anthelia. Xeniids such as anthelia and xenia lack calyces (which clove polyps possess and are very noticeable in the first post of this thread).

Here's some of my anthelia (also known as 'waving hand coral' due to their long 'trunks' and polyp tentacles which sway in the water column), completely different type of coral than the corals in question:
img_2477568_0_e0fcc7e6b305b2d88d72d21778c40c52.jpg

img_2477568_1_2f488a0a0b606195985175932420f674.jpg

Clove polyps
img_2477568_2_4b3f4a95cbd8d9f107b3cd45f39facb6.jpg

The calyces which the clove polyps can completely retract into are easily seen.

Xenia's and clove polyps can have similar polyp heads due to the variations
(Close up of xenia polyps)
img_2477568_3_6e2f1d7b349dfbe2e9b6873ef3346446.jpg

however, xenia tend to have much thicker stalks (the thickness of which may be comparable to broccoli), and while there are different types of xenia, they all lack calyces.
img_2477568_4_27185df88973e6e30cc2823ab988b796.jpg

I will check on that, i may be very wrong and if i am im sorry, im just getting my info from a couple of coral books i have.
Ill get my lfs to check as they only sell marine. Like i said if im wrong im sorry and will have to get some better reference books. LOL.

I have checked with my lfs and i need to hols my habrá up and say a but sorry to everyone im wrong. Looking after the coral is the same but the names not. So im so so sorry to every one.

Back
Top Bottom