Milky white sticky-outy things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blorkiemom

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've looked through the ID FAQs and don't see anything like this--hoping it's not some pesty thing. I've had this rock (cycling a QT tank) for about 5 weeks; these guys only appeared last week and they are spreading fast. They are small, milky white--polyps?--that have a little bulge toward the top and a tiny crown. They are appearing singly, but some have fuzzy white stuff around the base. There's no light on the tank, BTW, if that helps. Thanks for any help!

Arrgh--sorry about posting same pic twice. First time adding a pic and I don't see how to remove the duplicate.

Well, then! All is fine. I guess I just have no clue what baby sponges look like. Apparently SpongeBob SquarePants isn't a very good reference point. :D Thanks, Revhtree!

Ya, they really dont look like you would think a sponge would look like. Tangs love that stuff!! Your Welcome! :wink:

I know it's a bad picture! And that was the best of the lot. Wrong lens, I guess.

Thanks for the link--that's a handy one to bookmark. These guys, though, don't look hollow. I've got some things I know are feather dusters: hard white tubes that lie along the rock with little feathery heads that pop in and out. These are squishy (looking) tubes with a faint crown that is always out. They stick straight out of the rock and don't move at all. I'm surprised to see anything growing on this rock as I don't have any lights at all on the tank and the room isn't bright.

So revhtree, do they grow into big things that look like sea sponges (the kind in my marine books, not the kind in my bathtub :) ) or do they stay little?

blorkiemom said:
These are squishy (looking) tubes with a faint crown that is always out.

There's the proof. The good reverend is correct. This is going to be a scypha ciliata most likely.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. That's exactly it. Thank you so much, everyone, for the help! Off to look them up . . .

what I would to know is if these things are good for the tank. I noticed them today all over my heater and behind the rocks.. seems to me they do no like much light. help

From what I read, they are neither good nor bad--just are. It looks like they go away eventually when the nutrients they need are no longer present. The sponges I have like the light, though--at least the NO light I have on my QT--so maybe not the same thing?

Some fish and inverts like to eat them.

I had tons behind one rock against the glass, where I could see behind. I added three pep. shrimp and they got behind that rock, and the sponge was no more. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom