Molt or actual hermit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have seen molts before but they have never looked as full as this one.. This is a blue knuckle hermit and he has been acting strange just staying towards one corner of my tank but today, when I got home this was in the middle of the tank along with an empty shell to the left of it
Did he die and just float out?
Or did he just get to big and leave and them molt?
Id very much like to know so if there is a problem with my water I'll know...

Kinda hard to tell, I thought mine kept dying then wondered why I still had the same amount. I would wait a little and see if he comes back out. They like to hide after molting. Could be alive after all.

The shell is completely empty, the shell is upside down and I can almost see the back of it inside, he's definitely not in there but mate he's moving around without one?

I don't know coulda crawled into another shell when you weren't looking. Lol. I would just wait a bit and see if it turns up, like I said they like to hide after molting untill their new "skin" hardens.

Haha I know I should but I don't have any shells in there for his size, he's by far the biggest hermit I have, all the others are half his size and he won't fit into any other shells

Could he have been eaten by my tube anemone? My anemone just came out an I realized te shell is upside down right next to the anemone

Get more shells! I had to do that when my hermits were fighting, as soon as I put them in the tank rocky was in another shell within 5mins. It was to funny. :p

Haha yeah I need to, but they look so repulsive just lying around in the tank..don't you think?
What kind did you buy?

I just got some at my LFS. They were leftovers of different sizes that they pull out of the display tanks. The look dosent bother me I just keep them piled up in one corner and the crabs have a selection to choose from.

spoonman said:
In a post yesterday you said you were still cycling. Is this a different tank?

Yes it is, this is in my 20 gallon that has been up for about 6 months, but I ran out of room so now I'm waiting for my 75 to finish cycling!

spoonman said:
In a post yesterday you said you were still cycling. Is this a different tank?

Yeah this is in my 20 gallon that has been up and running for 6 months(sorry if I post this twice, it said it didn't go through an I can't see it but who knows! Haha)

Back
Top Bottom