mushroom coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxmulder

Aquarium Advice Regular
can anyone tell me what kind of mushroom coral I have here?
i cannot find it anywhere.
1031471.jpg

Uuuuuhhhh... don't think it looks like a mushroom to me. Looks like a Scolymia (LPS) coral. Normally pretty pricey these days, especially for that coloration. If you got that particular one for less than $150, you stole it!

We ARE talking about the big round red thing in the lower center of the picture... right?

now that I look at scolymia pictures ... it looks like mine :)

I paid $30 for it.

How should I care for it? My tank is not really suited for hard corals. It's just a 10g.

Pretty hardy coral... you shouldn't have a problem as long as you keep your water clean. Scolys prefer low to medium light, and low flow. It needs *some* flow to keep it cleaned off, but you don't really want to see it flapping around. Normal reef conditions otherwise... calcium 380-420, alkalinity 8-12 dkH, specific gravity 1.025ish, and you should do fine with it.

What type of lighting do you have?

Wow... $30. I've seen some mislabeled corals in some smaller shops around me that would be good deals for someone, but never something like that!

It was sold to me as a mushroom. I think the boss wasn't there :)
Do I have to feed it?

Either that, or the boss isn't going to be the boss for long!

Assuming you have adequate lighting, the coral should get all it needs from the lighting and the extra nutrients in the water. But it won't complain if you plop some mysis shrimp in it when its tentacles are out.

Back
Top Bottom