Mushroom thingy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcla6783

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am new at the marine hobby and figured this was the best place to go for help. I purchased some live rock today that had what looks like a soft coral or mushroom thingy.
Sorry if these are blurry, I had to use the camera phone.

mushroom1.jpg

and here is another

mushroom2.jpg

Am I supposed to be seeing a picture? All I see is something that says "smalll.jpg" but no picture.

Something I need to do different?

and just some norla shrooms. i would say. unless that is the underside of one of them.
they will do great in high-low light and will do well in high and low flwo. you cant really kill them. and they grow really fast. good starter coral. i am tellign you this becasue most people ask it after and id is made. sry if you already know this. i am not trying to make you look dumb in any way just answering upcomeing questions.

Awesome, thats what I wanted to hear. I noticed this thing appears to have a "mouth" in the middle. Am I supposed to feed it or does it get all the food it needs from the light and sifting?

nope no need to feed them. they will and can eat but you dont have to feed them. if you do you can try just like dt to the tank. they will eat that but you dont have to do any thing special to them.

I noticed this morning that this thing was wrapped up like a tulip flower. It has also moved about 6 inches from its origional spot and it looks like its headed for another rock. After about 10 minutes of having the lights on it unfolded and expanded quite a bit.

I guess all of this is standard practice for these things?

Mushrooms can move like anemones, actually they are more closely related to anemones than to true corals. Thats a nice looking Ricordia...great hitch hiker!

the LFS I got the rock from charged me $15 for the rock and $5 for the mushroom because they didn't know what it was ... so it looked cool enough for $20 for the package so I grabbed it.

Back
Top Bottom