my first time with LR, first 'hiker found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your picture is a little tough to identify the crab with since it is blury. It would be helpful when taking pictures if you could get him in focus. Most digital cameras have a "focal length" which is how close you can get to your subject and have the camera be able to focus on him. Looks like you may have gotten a little to close to him. Try moving back away from him until he comes into focus. you could always crop the photo later to make him large enough for us to see. He looks like a red mythrax crab, which as long as you aren't going reef would be fine, but mine ate a colony of yellow polyps. That was enough to have me pull all 6 of them from my tank. Shame on him! If he has "radar" looking filters in the front then he's most likely a porcelain (but the claw shapes are usually more round on those) and those are wonderful to have in the tank. I have about 20 of them.

I almost would sya don't put any crabs that are not hermits in your tank. I just can't seem to trust them. :|

Rev, what about porcelains?! So far mine seem so perfectly harmless, beautiful, beneficial little filter feeders. I may one day eat my words, but so far I love them!

Phyl said:
Your picture is a little tough to identify the crab

Yeah unfortunatly my digital camera is broken, the photo was taken with my cellphone. I'm borrowing a friend's camera tonight so hopefully I'll have better photos for Thursday (no internet access tomorrow).

It's got claws. Keep it out. Make a small tank to house your friends whom you don't quite trust, at elast no in the dark :lol:

Back
Top Bottom