Mystery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swiftler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know what kind of snail this is and if it's safe for a reef. Recently found them strolling around. Probably came in on some new rock.

image-2783084547.jpg

Thanks Mr X. Now that I read that it state that almost all are bad for reef tanks except for the nassarius snail. Any tips on how to catch these little guys?

You can pick them out as you see them with your hand. They are slow as molasses! Toss them in the sump if you have one. it would be a shame to kill them for just being whelks.

I dont really want to kill these little guys either but I don't have a sump yet. Do you think it's a bad idea to leave the two in the tank

Aw back in the day when I had a reef. So excited to buy new rocks.and get exciteing little freebies. I got loads of whelks but they were very small, your looks quite big. Mines never done my reef any harm, but as I said mines were much smaller I think.

Size might be deceiving. They are about 2-3 cm

Yeah I thought they were bigger. The ones we found were only about 1cm but they never done anyharm. I think he looks nice... Lovely shell haha. Maybe he'll grow on you.. You never know

Back
Top Bottom