Name that crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mybug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This fellow came with my live rock shipped from Florida. Looks sort of like an emerald but he is pale orange is color.

My tank is cycling right now with the rock so I have no one for him to harm. He seems to be happy scavenging what grows on the rock. I know many say the only crab in their FOWLR setup is possibly a hermit. I'm wondering if I should catch this fellow and take him to the LFS.

My plan is for my 55G FOWLR to be a community tank for the most part. Presently planning on a Ocellaris Clown (tank raised), a goby or a blenny and then the infamous Yellow Tank from Hawaii. I would have some snails and hopefully if I can find one, an electric blue legged hermit. Does this fellow pictured below threaten my plans ?

Thanks in advance,

A porcelain ?

Can you identify this fellow ? Body is about the size of a quarter. Minus the legs that is.

Attachments

• whatcrab.jpg
    whatcrab.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 144
  • whatcrab.jpg
    whatcrab.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 105
I've seen these carbs before and seem nothing more than a different color of the emerald crab. You can keep an eye on him. I doubt it would pose any problems. Nice hitchhiker :)

At work we found this HUGE black crab that looks just like that. He lives in the 120 reef we have set at the store and comes out once in awhile. We named him "Koby Bryant"...LOL.

It's not a porcelain crab. Looks like it could be a mythrax crab. If the claw tips are flat, that's the sign of an algae eater and doesn't pose much of a threat.

Back
Top Bottom