Name the coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLH-l3ioCub3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a couple coral frags that I don't remember the names of and figured id get you guys to help me out. Just view the pic and quote with your answer. Thanks everyone!

First of all where is the picture and secondly moving this to the SW ID forum.

melosu58 said:
First of all where is the picture and secondly moving this to the SW ID forum.

Had trouble uploading... I'm sorry, I didn't think about posting it there! I know better...

I'm really not the best at this but let's see how I do. #1 button polyp. #2. Xenia of some sort. #3. Frogspawn. #4. Daisy or flowerpot coral.

#3 was a free frag I got at LFS and was just a single tiny head that came to a point. I just stuck it in a hole and now it has multiple heads. I know they branch off and the "tentacles" get long and usually have green tips. This appears to have white tips but it's still too young to tell. I know it gets really big and can sting other corals. The body is hard and the tentacles can retract.

So, definitely (1)button polyp (4) flower pot.
(2) I believe is a type of Xenia but has tiny polyps and don't get bigger than what they are now neither do they open and close like normal Xenia. Some have told me purple star polyp but it's definitely not that.
I think I remember the LFS calling it Xenia but can't remember what type.
(3) still unknown.

#1 palythoa
#2 Xenia
#3 NO IDEA LOL
#4 Clove polyps, it's not a flowerpot or gonipora, I have one them :)

carey said:
#1 palythoa
#2 Xenia
#3 NO IDEA LOL
#4 Clove polyps, it's not a flowerpot or gonipora, I have one them :)

I agree with your list = )

Wild guess on picture 3 would be a short tentacle plate coral or even a yuma mushroom...I can't tell really well from the picture....lol

Actually I have to agree with leighton79 on (4) daisy polyps. The clove polyps are very similar but not quite. I googled it and compared otherwise I wouldn't know. Lol maybe they're the same, corals can have different names but overall the same thing.

I've never seen or heard of a red euphylia, that's all, didn't the OP say it had a skeleton? And heads, so that rules mushrooms out doesn't it? It kind of looks like a nem, can you get any other photos of it OP?

Back
Top Bottom