Need help ID-ing worm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry I don't have a picture yet. This guy is quick! I read as many webpages on them as I could but still can't tell if I need to get rid of it or not. This worm is about 5 inches long (haven't seen him completely out of the rock yet) and resembles an earthworm but has a zillion legs or bristles. It has a white band around it about half an inch from it's front end. It's body is the color of an earthworm and has some greyish looking antenna's or feelers coming out around it's mouth. Anyone know if he's friend or foe?

We'll attempt to trap it tonight.

Yes, to me a centepede is the closest thing to it I could describe. Great weblink! If I understood it correctly he should be harmless?

Some are and some aren't depending on what you have in your tank and which kind of bristleworm you get.

I tried some of the weblinks on some of the following pages but the one that says it will tell you if it's a bad one wouldn't work when I clicked on it. I guess I just worry about it multiplying rapidly or getting to our fish who sleep in low spots in the tank. The firefish sleeps in the same rock as this worm and they are the same size. The clowns pretty much "lay" in the big conch in the sand after dark and seem like an easy target. Any recommendations as to how I can find a list of "bad" ones just to rule it out?

On the off chance you should happen to get one of the bad ones, I believe they are more of a threat to other inverts, not fish.

Back
Top Bottom