need help identifying small white creatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmokinEzMunny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to saltwater tanks and realize I have a lot to learn. I have a 40 gallon tank with live sand, live rock and base rock. Tank has been set up for about 2 months, no fish yet, been letting tank cycle. I believe by the water parameters that it is ready for fish but I have a couple of issues I would like to address before I put fish in. One problem I have is aiptasia anemones have already blessed my tank, if anyone knows of a good remedy for these it would be greatly appreciated. The other is some little white circular creatures just started appearing. They have tentacles, like to stick themselves to the glass and swim like jellyfish. Don't know if they are good or bad. I have included a pic of them, there are 3 in the pic, one is almost center, one looks like a white dot on the power head, and the other is top left. If anyone could help me identity these it would be a great help.

ForumRunner_20130507_180741.jpg

I forget the name for the little spiral fan worms, but they are nothing to worry about. They tend to breed well in a tank such as yours that has no predation. When you start adding fish they will likely become snacks.

My tank used to have hundreds of them, now I can't find any other than the ones inside my HOB filter.

I had tried to research them but didn't have much luck. I figured with having problems with aiptasia anemones it would be my luck to have some other critter getting ready to take over the as well. Thanks for the info.

I have had aptasia in the past. I never had a real problem with them though. I have never used any if the products the people talk about to control them.

U can also try lemon juice, scolding hot water or peppermint shrimps some people had alot of success with then some have not

Check out the hitch hiker link in my signature. A good source to identify some of the things that pop up in new tanks.

Back
Top Bottom