need help with 2 ids PICS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djlynch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 questions that someone could prob help me out with by using the same pics..

1. The little red coral (?) next to the cup coral.. what is it? I have had
this piece of LR in the tank for 4-5 months, and it just appeared around a month ago. it opens and ccontracts like a polyp. has tenticles that come out when its happy...

2. The cup coral... the green "decaying" area.. is the coral dying? i bought a scroll frag a couple of months ago from lfs and i noticed within 2 days or so that on the back of it that it was doing the same thing, so i returned it. this cup coral has been getting like this for about a month. do i need to take any action?

http://djlynch.zoto.com/user/lightbox/CAT.0/date_uploaded-desc/0-30

Sorry for the link... couldnt get the attchment to work.

Thanks

djlynch said:
I have 2 questions that someone could prob help me out with by using the same pics..

1. The little red coral (?) next to the cup coral.. what is it? I have had
this piece of LR in the tank for 4-5 months, and it just appeared around a month ago. it opens and ccontracts like a polyp. has tenticles that come out when its happy...
Looks like a species of Zoanthud but it's too hard to tell what type when it's closed up like that. It is also too close to the Turbinaria. The cup needs to be moved, they are fighting chemically by the looks of both.

2. The cup coral... the green "decaying" area.. is the coral dying? i bought a scroll frag a couple of months ago from lfs and i noticed within 2 days or so that on the back of it that it was doing the same thing, so i returned it. this cup coral has been getting like this for about a month. do i need to take any action?
The coral is definately showing a recession which could be caused from many things including the button polyp if that's where it was facing before you moved it. Turbinaria are not generally an aggressive species and can often fall prey to more aggressive neighbours.

Need a bit more info on you tank set up and water parameters to help understand what may be going wrong. Please post as much detail as you can. Updating your will help with future questions. If possible also post a full tank shot, this could simpley be a matter of placement. More commonly LPS corals will not appreciate being placed on hard surfaces where the edges of the coral come in contact with the rock. It can cause irritation leading to necrosis and death. This species also does best with med-low light and med water flow.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom