need ID on encrusting coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought the following as a quarter size frag a couple years ago, it was supposed to be a blue ridge coral. It is not blue, and never has been any shade of blue. It cracked off some time ago and now I have two rocks nicely covered. I would like to ID this, just so I will know what it is :oops:
I am posting pics of both rocks, there is sand all over the pieces thanks to the clownfish, there are also some visible polyps. (?)

as a side note, can anyone tell me why everything always looks so red in the pictures in this tank? no flash is used.

Attachments

• dscn5584.jpg
    dscn5584.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 38
  • dscn5585.jpg
    dscn5585.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 65
I'm no coral expert but about the read in the photo, some camera's have a setting called white balance that can cause color abnormallities in pictures. Try playing with it.

Could be wrong but I believe the Blue refers to the color of the skelaton, not the outward color of the coral. As far as this being one, I don't think so. Looks alot like a Porites lichen or Porites rus?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom