Need multiple ID's !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just to give everyone a little info about the setup, it's a 10 gallon fowlr. Been set up since mid July 2013. Current stock is 1 oc clown, 1 bangaai cardinal fish, 1 coral banded shrimp, and various snails and hermits.

Now for what needs an ID:

This stuff is all over various rocks in the tank, don't know if it's good or bad

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391125369.815812.jpg

Next pic...not sure if this purple stuff is coralline algae or what ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391125443.839004.jpg

Next, there is a weird hair algae (atleast I think that's what it is) growing on my sand bed. How do I get rid of it? Lights are on for roughly 10 hrs a day.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391125546.958526.jpg

Thanks in advance everyone!!! :)

First looks like aiptasia. Second is an algae issue and third is cyano. The last 2 are issues that can be solved by addressing nutrient issues in the water column. There are articles on this in the articles section.

First looks like aiptasia. Second is an algae issue and third is cyano. The last 2 are issues that can be solved by addressing nutrient issues in the water column. There are articles on this in the articles section.

Was hoping it wasn't aiptasia. Can it harm my tank or it's inhabitants?

I'm on the mobile app, do you have a link for the nutrient issue article?

The first looks like a tube worm to me. Harmless if so.
The second (purple stuff) is coralline algae, and the third is cyanobacteria.
reducing feedings, water changes vacuuming out what you can with each change, and a reasonable bio load are the best defense against cyano.

Must have a better view of things than me on my phone Doug. Switching over to the computer, you are correct. Solution is still the same for the cyano as listed above.

The first looks like a tube worm to me. Harmless if so.
The second (purple stuff) is coralline algae, and the third is cyanobacteria.
reducing feedings, water changes vacuuming out what you can with each change, and a reasonable bio load are the best defense against cyano.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm hoping the hitchhikers on the rock are tubeworms rather than aiptasia!

As for the coralline algae, I only have a simple t8 light fixture. Is it even possible for such a low light to produce it?

With the cyano algae, I've been picking it out of my sand weekly when I do my water changes. Does this help or am I just wasting my time? I read it can have to do with the type of food you use (currently using omega one marine micro pellets) and about not having enough flow etc from the article someone suggested. Do I need to rearrange my rocks in a different formation ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391134473.670804.jpg

Yes, coralline can grow under a simple curly-q energy saver bulb just fine. The alleged tube worm, is it coming out of a hard tube? it looks to me like it's a fan worm- a filter feeder.
Yes, manual removal of the cyano is good, along with water changes and reasonable feeding. How often are you feeding and how often are you changing water?

Yes, coralline can grow under a simple curly-q energy saver bulb just fine. The alleged tube worm, is it coming out of a hard tube? it looks to me like it's a fan worm- a filter feeder.
Yes, manual removal of the cyano is good, along with water changes and reasonable feeding. How often are you feeding and how often are you changing water?

The little thing doesn't really move, it almost looks like a feather duster, just way smaller.

I feed everyday and fast twice a week and change water every 1-2 weeks depending on if I have saltwater. (I buy premixed 5 gallon jugs)

weekly, 15-20%, and I don't know how much food you are feeding currently. nutrient filled water plus light is what cyanobacteria needs to thrive. It comes down to -you are putting more nutrients in the tank than you are taking out. Just because food is eaten, it is not gone. Put a weeks worth of food in your hand and ask yourself if you are taking this much out of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom