need some help IDing w/ pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvDiscus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i've had some of these for a while but never really knew what they are.
first pic: i got this off a guy who closed his store. i love this thing! actually i have 2 on this rock soon to be 3 cause the on in the pic has started to split.
split24iw.jpg

i've seen these before but forgot what they are called?
cleaner8ox.jpg

the orange thing came with my LR. it moves everywhere and i think it's pretty cool looking. any idea what it is?
all24fb.jpg

another pic
all36ry.jpg

thanks for all and any help :)

the first one looks like a ricordea mushroom
the second looks like a toadstool. a type of leather coral
and the third looks like a candy cane coral. a type of LPS coral unless you are talking about the orange disc, which looks like a mushroom

all look very nice and healthy :)

steve r

thanks for the info. so you're saying that there are some mushrooms that can move around and eat off the LR? that's pretty cool! i love all the cool things that pop up in a tank :D speeking of popping out LOL!
peekaboo0lk.jpg

I'm gonna say pic 1 is a hairy mushroom, 2 is a toadstool, 3 is a type of limpet. I have one just like it. Nice pics. :D

See attached...

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• id_161.jpg
    id_161.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 87
The first picture is neither a ricordea nor a hairy. I appears to be a Rhodactis Sp. mushroom of some kind but not a hairy. They get large (Dinner plate size) and are pretty neat aspecially if you find one with a good bit of color. I have only one that I got as a quarter size jumper and in the past 2 months it has grown to the size of a cheeseburger. I'll do a little more research and post anything I find.

R-

Perhaps. I have a Rhodactis Sp. that is about 7" across that looks alot different. Here are some pics of mine.

Rhodactis covers alot of shrooms. Including hairy mushrooms.

Fluff said:
Rhodactis covers alot of shrooms. Including hairy mushrooms.

Exactly, I am just saying it isn't a ricordea sp. as someone suggested before, nor is it a rhodactis indosinensis or a rhodactis viridis. Or any of the half dozen others that have been ID'd as Hairys. All I know at this point is that it's a big Ol'shroom. A cool one at that.

It's always a good idea to try and ID the exact species but many times we must simpley be satisfied with determining the genus. One main reason the term "sp." and "spp." as so widely used.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom