Need some help with my new LR (PICS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billydreamer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I got 13lbs of LR from my LFS. The guy said he got it from one of his customers who had a giant tank, but had to get rid of because of remodeling.

Here's the tank:
img_849396_0_bfabdce7bc12c595738e264ff0343e50.jpg

It has lots of purple coralline algae (I think), and some other "things" I need help with:

img_849396_1_2df7bc11b53269bb97a099d660410a18.jpg

There's many colonies of what look like little green hairy fingers. Each finger has a small pod looking deal near it's tip. I've looked all over for a name, but nothing yet.

There's also, what I belive I have found is called an "Aiptasia"

img_849396_2_d2f119a528beab58e665f0b32ce36456.jpg

Not the best picture, sorry. I've read that these are bad, but he seems pretty harmless...

Next is this green guy:

img_849396_3_2140c55bf8b7deb20930ae65ab6af930.jpg

It's in the center of the pic. It's disk shaped, and very thin, about 1.5 in. in diameter. It doesn't seem to have a stalk, and sits still against the rock. I also found it once with small opening in the middle, similar to a mouth. But it was only open once.

Finnaly, there's these two:

img_849396_4_6fcef054877846d1c2c48753d83deee6.jpg

This is a very poor picture, and I'm sorry. But I'll do my best to describe. They are the two, purpleish things in the middle. They are similar to the green one above, in that they are fairly flat, but they are a not as thin as the green one, a little more...meaty. They are small, about the size of a quarter, and have become more rippled along the edge in the last few days, making them a bit taller. They don't seem to have "mouth" like the green one. My first thought when I got them was that they were dead, because they were very thin, and blackish, but they seem to have rejuvinated. Is this a "mushroom?"

If anyone can help me identify these, I'd appreciate it.

P.S. I would also appreciate it very much if you could avoid acronyms as I am still a :n00b: and still leaning :p. Thank You!

That is some good looking rocks. Not quite an expert but it looks like there are some mushrooms and polyps on the rocks. That tree looking thing I think is a pest anemone I could be wrong though.

The first one is Aiptasia, it will over run your tank. Try Joe's juice.
The second one is a mushroom, Nice.
AS\s for the last one I can't see anything, maybe algae?

Pics 1st is aptasia will over take a tank and can get quite large as recommended use joes juice on it ...
2 pics are of mushrooms :) and some polyps
3 pic looks like they could be any thing any chance of getting a better photo , I am not sure it looks like it could be 1 of several things from nudis to seaspiders, to manjanos :) in the center there are some blue shrooms too :)

Agree with Sadielynn...

That aiptasia is pretty good sized. You want it gone, or you will have many many more. Do NOT manually remove it. You won't get it all, and the pieces will multiply like crazy. I made that mistake when I first started. A good reef-focused LFS should carry "Joe's Juice" or you can find it on the internet. Use it as directed and the aiptasia will melt away.

You also have some zoanthid polyps - the little "flowers" with the green center and the brownish outsides.

Green and blue/purple mushrooms... nice.

As far as those little clumps of green hairy fingers that seem to be all over your tank (in your 2nd picture, there's a ton of them up high on your left rock), I don't have a good feeling about those. As others have said, a closer/better picture of one would help, but they sure have that "majano anemone" look to them. Majanos are kind of like aiptasia, and you don't want them in your tank. But a better picture would sure help.

green hairy fingers

Here are some better pics of the green hairy finger guys (amongst some polyps):

img_849699_0_1ca9bcdb1957bb7b2a23261500f5cfa0.jpg

and a side shot of one of them:

img_849699_1_6e1fcb43a87a4f848bd569fed9958453.jpg

I did order some Joe's Juice, and if they are manjano, it is suppsoed to take of that too. I repost again if it does like it should.

Yep those are manjanos take the rock out and place in a bucket to do those because of the ammount of them it is possible that it will foul your water becareful to keep it off of your zoas as it will kill them to ... swish in fresh salt water and place back into your tank ... Repeat as needed till they are gone and you see no more signs of them :)

Back
Top Bottom