New coral what you rekon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tr3nt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to just stick to fish and Rock other than anemone but I couldn't help myself plus it's only a starter coral...

Attachments

• image-2137055605.jpg
    image-2137055605.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 102
That's Alveopora.

It can be a very challenging coral to keep and is not an ideal starter coral. It can be hard to keep these corals alive for more than a year or two. It's also known as flower pot coral, a name it shares with a related (and even more challenging) coral, goniopora.

You could try feeding this coral oyster eggs and other foods which are less than 50-microns in size a few times a week. It may also benefit in a protein skimmer-less tank.

It's a difficult coral to say the least. IME medium to high light and medium water flow. I would suggest skimming however. If it does act like gonipora which I've had in many of my tanks it will need pristine water conditions with the addition of feeding it oyster eggs at least once a week.

A good starter coral would be a mushroom (almost impossible to kill), GSP, zoas.

Looks like Alvepora/Gonipora to me. Their track record is pretty spotty long term. If you do get one, make sure it's ORA, since those have a better track record. They like lots of lighting and good amount of flow.

If you want a starter coral, I also agree with zoas (probably what I recommend the most) , mushroom, or green star polyps (make sure you watch them though, they make good starter corals but once they get a good foothold in your tank, you'll be regretting it later)

Zoas are great and come in hundreds of variations and color schemes. Great starter coral. Then move up from there

Back
Top Bottom