NEW guy have no idea what this is!! Please Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlessary

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My wife and I went out and got us some "live rock" for our new tank we are just starting in this hobby and enjoying it so far. However when I got home from the fish store with our live rock, i cleaned it a little bit and then did what the guy at the store said and put it in the tank "supposed to be fully cured." A few hours later i noticed a little small hermit crab looking thing maybe 1/4 inch shell. is that bad for the tank? and then there was this thing I thought it was a muscle but not sure. is it coraline? what should i so about it? I don't have any fish in the tank yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 68
Any hermit crab is totally OK I believe. As for that brown looking thingy in the pic, I can't tell if it's a sponge (harmless filter feeder) or not from the pic.

What's intersting is the appendages (at least looking like so) at the 12 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions in the photo above. At least the 9 o'clock one looks like a hole. The noon position looks like the makings of a polyp of some kind.

Either way, neither of your finds are harmless I believe. Sit back and stare at those rocks and you likely find more new things on that cured rock.

Isn't it fun!?!?! :)

What sized tank and how much rock? What's the cycling plan or are you counting on cured rock to skip the cycle.

Welcome to AA too! :)

Last edited:
ok i am slow so i will start slow.
the picture...
the appendages... they are both holes that open and close everyso often i haven't seen anything come out of them. When i got it and kind of poked at it it is tight and muscly feel to it. i am begging to think it is a sponge of some type but not sure.

the crab i haven't seen again... he went into hidding. :(

Also i am not sure if either picture shows it if not i can post another pic but i have white stringy looking things kind of look like minature straws about 1/16 in. or less in diameter and each is about 1/2 in. long any ideas?

as for the tank...
its 56 liter (~ 12.32 gal) approx. 7.7 pounds of rock. as for cycle i have read 30 days is the norm but not sure... i have included a picture of the tank as is now.

and is it true if you have enough rock that you don't have to have the filter system on the tank?

i am just begining with salt water i had fresh water when i was a kid but that was 15 years ago.
OPEN TO ANY and ALL RECOMENDATIONS!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1762.jpg
    IMG_1762.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 56
You need a nitrite, ammoinia, and ph test kit right away I think. You need to know what those readings are - especially the first two to know if you're tank is cycling or it you need to based on the rock's status. Cured rock from an estanlished tank may ot need cycling. Uncured rock likely will cause a cycle. Either way, the test kit tells you these things. Just waiting "30 days" is not the way to go.

Go to our "Articles" section and read up on Fishles cycling to understand the process. I'd also suggest the cured or uncured rock article to to better understand the dif between the two.

If it is not moving, has an opening on top, could it be sponges or turincate or Sea Squirts? Check to see opening is permanently opened or if it opens and closes.
Leave it. Give them a chance to spread as they will filter the water, that is if it is one of mentioned. You can always eradicate when accurately determine what it is.

ok the BOTH opening the one at 12 O'clock and 9 O'clock open and close. They will both be open for several hours and then they will close (generally nite time) and then reopen. When they are closed for a long period it looks like a large raisen. The whole thing shrivels up.

for the white stringy looking thing coming out of rock, those could be a type of tube worm that lives in rock. Those stringy looking things will come out, collect sand and it will build a "house" for itself. Keep an eye on those and you will notice that they will get longe and longer. I have one on a rock that is about 3" long. They are no harm at all.

what you have in the picture are sponges. I see that brown one and I also see a blue one. Those stringy things are spagette worms. They are all helpful to the filtering of your tank. You should end up with ~1.5# of lr per gal of water. The type you have looks nice, just add them slowly. You will need a source of amonia to start your cycle and then the wait and take readings. See our sticky's for information on this.....

Back
Top Bottom