New live rock hitch hiker.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikenhecker1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently bought live rock and this was growing on it

image-671389004.jpg

It was rough to the touch and its orange and tan. Kinda layered lookin but solid. Does anyone know what it is. I hope it lives. Well I think I hope it lives. Might not be good

image-428895971.jpg

image-1338049184.jpg

Some updated pictues the orange one is starting to not look so good. And the red one is another unknown it's kinda bubbly and half of it is either extending or dying. I don't know. Any advise or insite would be helpful :)

Looks like tunicates to me. They don't seem to do well when exposed to air. It could be nothing you are doing.

You think they are both tunacates? I hope they make it but everything I read about them seems like they would be harder to keep. The orange and tan one is hard as a rock and I think the discoloration in the middle is where I touched it. I hope that's not why it's dying. Thanks Mr_X.

I'm not 100% sure, but tunicates come in many shapes and sizes. Yes, they are definitely not easy. Don't get your hopes up.

The reddish orange one could pass as a tunacate but the orange and tan one has no holes witch look to be a trademark of the tunacates.

Ok I have recently found some more new things on my new liverock. And the critters I knew about that were sick are doing better now.

First off, the known critters. The red and the orange and tan I think are doing better. The red one not so much.

image-4023105396.jpg

It's got some sediment on it. Should I blow the stuff off or will that aggravate the coral.

The orange and tan one. Found another small piece growing somewhere else.

image-2748957937.jpg

image-412515273.jpg

The bleached spot in the middle, is it dead or too hard to tell?

Ok one of the new corals is an lps I think.

image-594656732.jpg

And the last two could be a coralline algae that I've never seen. Or maybe some kinda coral, maybe someone can figure it out. The dark purple and the red stuff.

image-4220429625.jpg

image-1653487797.jpg

I don't have a clue. Thanks everyone, y'all make this way better for everyone that wants to get into this hobby.

image-1493729698.jpg

image-2547631747.jpg

It's small, there's only one and its tentacles are clear with a light dusting of white. It retracted when I picker it up but the tentacles at usually about 3/8 of an inch long.

image-4003589599.jpg

Attachments

• image-3413231723.jpg
    image-3413231723.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 69
This one is close but no yellow in mine.

image-2123484227.jpg

Looks just like this one but mine is clear and the skeleton is kinda green in the cracks. Probably recovering from a near death experience. I thought I saw some flouresense in the actinic light but idk.

image-4077008053.jpg

Man I was drilling a hole in a 55 gal tank I got for 15 bucks, must have been tempered lol because it shattered. :-( I got half way through, figured if it was gonna break it would have already. I figured wrong.

I think the red thing is making a comeback. I blew it off this morning and it is bright red again. There are two white areas on it that look dead ( very small areas) and it is making a point.

image-3437297765.jpg

image-266484069.jpg

And the orange one is still getting better. Found some rock in there today that looked like it had something dead in it. Half of the rock looked fine but the other half was white and the holes in the rock were black. So I took it outside and broke it open and got the dead stuff out. Then I threw the rocks back in. Other than that everything looks fine.

image-4200122138.jpg

Back
Top Bottom