New scarlet maybe has eggs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrWrasse

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I went to the LFS this evening. They had just got a shipment on new stock. They had some ok prices for a LFS today so I couldn't pass a couple of things up. I got this anemone and scarlet and a few other creatures. When I got home, I noticed the scarlet seemed to have eggs. You should notice the dark area on the bottom of the shrimp. Up close they look like green jelly balls and look like they may even have eyes. Sorry I couldn't get a closer pic, but hopefully you can tell by the pic and the description if my assumptions are correct. If they are is there any way to help them survive if they hatch?

Scott

I had to scarlets and each time before they had thousands of babies they looked just like tht. Usally the babies hatched at night

JC

Yep those are shrimp eggs. Regretfully the survivability rate for them is next to nill. The eggs are at the bottom of the food chain and everything in your tank will find them to be a great treat.

If you have two of these shrimp you can acutally end up with them producing and releasing eggs every few weeks.

I have only one scarlet and every few weeks, I saw yellowish balls in the belly, look like egss to me. It will be gone in a few days. Can one scarlet produce eggs by itself???

Boxster said:
Can one scarlet produce eggs by itself???
Quite common after moulting. If the eggs are not fertilized, the shrimp will usually eat them... :p

Cheers
Steve

Boxster said:
Can one scarlet produce eggs by itself???
Quite common after moulting. If the eggs are not fertilized, the shrimp will usually eat them... :p

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom