New Shrimplike critters in my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking in my 55 gallon sump last night and I noticed many new critters that havent been noticed in the last year. They look like mysid shrimp, the biggest being 6-7 mm long, many smaller. They arent crawlers like copepods, they are free swimming. They look exactly like reall small shrimp. How come I never saw them before? No new rock or anything introduced in over 10 months, a few small pieces with corals a few months ago. I do have 3 pistols, but I believe they are too small to breed. One cleaner shrimp and a nuisance camel I cant catch live in there too.

What do you think, any ideas on how they got there? Maybe just small numbers were in there and they have bred? All I can think is woo hoo, free food!!!

I find mysids are much more prone to nocturnal activities. If you have a few in the sump, the main is most likely loaded with them. Check an hour or so after lights out with a dim flashlight. Could be you've just never noticed them before or there wasn't enough of a food source for the population to increase.

Cheers
Steve

Ive been sneaking some time on the net at work today. Definitly NOT an amphipod, although I have plenty of those. Doesnt look like any copepds Ive found either, altough it looks closer to one of them than an amphipod. I swear it looks just like tiny shrimp! Ill try to snap a pic tonight.

couldnt get a worthy pic for id, they are just too small. They look just like those pictures though. Looks like I can slow down on the feeding a bit. I wonder why I never saw them before? The 180 is 8 months old and the 55 before it was 10 months old before moving up. Seems like I would have seen them before.

Back
Top Bottom