New snails, invasive or good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Little snails showed up, found about six, don't know if they came in on rocks, sand, or other animals.

They have a long horn shaped spike body, white in color.

Are these guys good or bad? If they are bad, is there any chance my six line will eat them for me?

Hope the pic came out ok,

ForumRunner_20120630_021108.jpg

Hmmm... I'm not sure what type of snail they are, and I don't know if your six line will eat them (not much help am I) but if you have any zooanthids or palythoas or any frag of soft coral...I would watch them carefully. I had a couple of weird little snails appear from nowhere that decided to embed themselves in my zooanthids and reek havoc killing them. Sorry I can't offer more. Good luck to you!!!

Ok, I'll look up the ones you mentioned, and keep an eye on them.

Thanks

coralAnn said:
Hmmm... I'm not sure what type of snail they are, and I don't know if your six line will eat them (not much help am I) but if you have any zooanthids or palythoas or any frag of soft coral...I would watch them carefully. I had a couple of weird little snails appear from nowhere that decided to embed themselves in my zooanthids and reek havoc killing them. Sorry I can't offer more. Good luck to you!!!

If they were in your zoas eating them then they weren't snails it would have been a nudibranch. If it has a shell it's a snail and it's good to have, if it doesn't have a shell then it's a nudi and could be a risk. The picture above looks to be a snail so you should be fine.

Look up pyramid snails. They look like your picture and they are not good. Some eat other snails and some eat clams.

Serenity09 said:
Look up pyramid snails. They look like your picture and they are not good. Some eat other snails and some eat clams.

That's exactly what they look like... Mine are very small, no bigger then a grain of sand. Didn't see them this morning, hopefully my six line eats them to help.

Looking closer they may also be Baby Nassarius snails? Not sure, not having seen them this morning I'll check tonight after lights out. Keep the ones I fine out of the tank tell I know

kdpuffer said:
If they were in your zoas eating them then they weren't snails it would have been a nudibranch. If it has a shell it's a snail and it's good to have, if it doesn't have a shell then it's a nudi and could be a risk. The picture above looks to be a snail so you should be fine.

Thanks for the info!!! I need all I can get!!! I've never heard of a nudibranch so I'm gonna do some research so I'll know for sure next time. Once again...Thank You!!! :)

Found online that a six line will eat invasive snails such as the ones yall pointed out.

I don't think I have had my Nassarius snails long nuf for them to be there babys. Unless they hitch hiked in or on there shells or live rock.

Pulled a few out tonight, they are pyramid snails. Very few found so far, hopefully removing them, along with the wrasse, things should not be so bad.

Still got the buggers. Been pulling 3-5 out each night now from my last up date. Found a few on my snails, they didn't get to the flesh thankfully.

Can't say how many my wrasse is eating. He is never so interested in food I feed the tank, but always active. Se him swimming threw the rocks, picking at things, cruising the sand bed, and grabbing stuff on his way. Cool fish!

Back
Top Bottom