New tank new life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrupedlink

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have just started a tank and have been mesmerized by the amount of life in it already. I have searched through this section and found a lot of what I have in my tank but there are a couple that I would like cleared up. 1st photo I believe I have clumps of something and i believe aiptasia. The second photo a snail with some sort of growth on it (white powdery looking) I can't find what snail it is, if it is, and what is the powder? The third photo has some sort of red growth and I'm not sure what it is.

Any help with anything would be great I started the tank on Christmas Eve, it's only about one week old. I used tap water with salt hence the hair algae I have, any info on weather they are good and bad critters would be great as well. I understand this is a long term project before I even get fish in there but I want to make sure it's on the right track.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388576759.226023.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388576806.975687.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388576827.759675.jpg

1. yes, Aptasia
2. Stomatella snail. Good guy I don't know about the powder. Perhaps sand dust used as camouflage?
3. a macroalgae. Probably Botryocladia pseudodichotoma or Botryocladia botryoides.
Either way, I would welcome this attractive algae.

Thank you!

Any idea of the small grouping just below and to the right of the top aptasia?

Hard to say. Need a better pic. Is it fuzzy? Anything coming out of those polyps? Could be a tunicate.

I'm new too but I'm glad to put in my 2 cents on something I actually know about.
Kill the aptasia with aptasia x. You don't want those and they look pretty big for only being a week old. Careful cause they can spread.

Thanks

I will be getting some peppermint shrimp and try injecting the aptasia with boiling water, I'm not to keen on the idea of aptasia X, although I haven't heard any negative comments about it I believe there are a lot more treatments which are cheaper.

You can buy a container of Kalkwasser, and mix that up into a thick paste, then use a syringe less the tip to cover the anemone with it. A small container of Kalkwasser will last you very long and is pretty cheap.

Very nice! Thanks for the tip Mr X. I love hunting those little suckers down! :) I am taking notes!

Back
Top Bottom