Newbie Need ID Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swchic02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey Everyone! I'm new to this and need some help IDing these hitchhikers. I'm pretty sure the three anemone looking things are aiptasia :( and I think the one below it is a bristleworm? Haven't seen him since I took this picture the other day, he may have become a midnight snack....oops!

The two on the right are the ones I'm not sure of??? Anyone know what the pink/blue/gray thing is? It looks like there's a tube in the middle of it. It extended out a little right before the lights went out but now it seems to be staying the same size.

At first I thought the little tree things on the white mat were more aiptasia but they look like they have little spikes or spines on them. That's not aiptasia is it?

I've been searching everywhere and can't find anything that looks like those last two. Did I get something cool or just junky 'weeds'?

Thanks everyone!!!

Attachments

• IMAG04412.jpg
    IMAG04412.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMAG04502.jpg
    IMAG04502.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMAG04512.jpg
    IMAG04512.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMAG04552.jpg
    IMAG04552.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 142
#1 looks like aiptasie
#2 looks like an orange Florida Ricordia
#3 Bristleworm
#4 Im guessing Green Star Polyps that just aren't happy right now.

^ agree but I'm not sure what #2 is, neilanh could be right I just don't have experience with it. You'll want to get rid of the aptasia asap as they will take over your tank and sting any coral it comes near. I have a bristleworm that's roughly 3 inches (first & last time I saw it) and like yours I got a few pics one night having no idea it was even in there and now its gone. I'm gonna try and get it to show itself with a piece of shrimp. The bristleworm is harmless. I also picked up some hitch hiking star polyps and they are doing great, mine get moderate flow/ light.

Agree with neilanh, except for #4. Tough to tell because whatever it is, isn't very happy, but I'm going to go with some species of Anthelia.

Bristle worms are good for the tank some of the best CUC I have. As far as totally harmless I have to disagree I came into contact with one by chance and it really hurt bad for about 3 days. I found out later I should have soaked it in vinegar instead of trying to pull the bristles out. In one tank I have a few that is about 6 inches long at least. I have no desire to take them out but I am very careful about where I am grabbing things in that
particular tank.

I am going with anthelia on the last picture with Kurt.

joy13 said:
Bristle worms are good for the tank some of the best CUC I have. As far as totally harmless I have to disagree I came into contact with one by chance and it really hurt bad for about 3 days. I found out later I should have soaked it in vinegar instead of trying to pull the bristles out. In one tank I have a few that is about 6 inches long at least. I have no desire to take them out but I am very careful about where I am grabbing things in that
particular tank.

I am going with anthelia on the last picture with Kurt.

As far as harming US, yea don't touch it haha. They can bite and sting. Though I've heard its only the bigger ones that sting, I'm not taking any chances. If you know one is in your tank either be very careful where you're putting your hands or wear gloves.

Thomsona said:
How do you get rid of aiptasie I have a few that gave turned up ?

Aptasia are a P.I.T.A. you can use aptasia-x which is what I use, works really well. Also atlantic pepperment shrimp will eat the smaller ones. I've also read of people injecting them with boiling water, lemon juice and various other homemade remedies. I went with aptasia-x and pepperment shrimp and its gotten rid of them.....for now lol

Back
Top Bottom