no clue anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have what looks like some sort of anemone growing from a LR from LR.com

It is a brownish green color with a large "head" with small tentacles around the outside. There are also tentacles on the head closer to the mouth in what appears to be a random pattern. The mouth is a small white/tan slit. If i put my hand or a tool in the tank to clean the algae it will retract down into a hole in the LR. I've looked through different links in this forum but have yet to find anything that looks like it. Sorry I have no photo.

It's gotta be a feather duster. They are a type of tubeworm, I wouldn't worry about him he won't harm anything. Actually a lot of pet stores sell em. I got one like 8 inches long. :mrgreen:

Clam said it had a head and a slit mouth. My vote is that it is probably an aip. :fadein:

Aptaisa. :roll: Of course lr.com says they don't live where they get our rock. They say it's a rock anomone. :mrgreen:

Here is my rock anemone at a very young age. It was on the lr, when I got it. The pic after that is what it looks like now. 3 months later.

Put a peppermint shrimp in your tank. If it eats it then it is/was an AIP....

i have to wait for it to finish its cycle before i can put anything into the tank

unfortunately it doesn't look too much like either...closer to rev's baby rock one then anything

Are rock anemones a bad thing? This tank is going to be a reef (hopefully) will it effect coral?

Are rock anemones a bad thing? This tank is going to be a reef (hopefully) will it effect coral?
Could be a majano anemone also, either way they're both pests in the sense that they reproduce quit fast and have a fairly potent sting, able to easily kill most corals. 1 can become 3 overnight by splitting!

My anemone is no pest. I have seen them at alot of lfs in reef tanks. It has been in my reef tank for 2 months and has not moved once. They say they dont move much. I like it. They like to stay attached to rocks at an angle. HTH! :?

Here is a quote from liveaquari.
The Flower Anemone can live singly or in groups. They prefer to live on shaded, vertical rock walls, or within the substrate. They will bury most of their body in the sand, with only the oral disc and tentacles showing. These are fairly hardy anemones that will adapt to a wide variety of lighting conditions. These anemones tend not to wander about the aquarium and are a great addition to a reef aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom