No picture but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_rivers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank is about 6 months old and today I've seen two critters never seen before. I'll try to describle them best I can:

1) Crab like thing, big hairy biege real hairy crab like thing. Body about the size of a nickle. Swear is lools like a tarantula with claws and not enough legs. Crawled out of some hole, then right back in.

2) Orange/Brown, about 2 inches, looks like a millipede.

Any ideas?

Know it's not much help but the d-cam is gone on vacation with daughter.

1) Sounds like a hitchiker crab. I'd remove if possible, might be harmless, but it might eat your stuff.

2) Sounds like a bristleworm, beneficial detrivores.

sounds like a spider crab. not reef safe. the second sounds like a bristleworm.

what color is the crab? If it's green, its likely an emerald, or mythrax crab. They are reportedly the "most reef safe" crab, but I disagree, as mine has terrorized mushrooms, polyps, and starfish. Red, yellow, orange, or brown color would indicate a hitchhiker. Is the hair just on the legs? or on the entire body? If its the entire body, it might be a spider crab, as goldy has suggested. Hair on the legs would indicate mytrhax, or hitchhiker, depending on the fore mentioned color criteria. HTH. 8O

Back
Top Bottom