OK...WEIRD bug??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasdivegal

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I have a brand new tank. Just finishing cycle so I brought a clean up crew. No fish yet just, snails and crabs

Now I see...this bug (worm, creature) not sure what it is. It is so small that I cannot even get any kind of picture.

Description...very small (1/4 inch), almost clear looking with a long brown center, have antennaes and look like they have thousands of feet. maintains a "C" shape. :p

I have now found 2 of them. They are in the sand and moving around very quickly.

OK...what do I do? What are these things?

Second Creature? There is another creature never seen.
Description: small, round looking (almost like a shrimp shape) but also clear in coloration (pink to white) MOVES very very quick. Stays under rocks.

OK...any guesses? Let me know?? I am creating strange strange creatures! :?

Those would be pods, like amphipods and copepods. Beneficial to the tank and it's inhabitants. Their population will "explode" and subside in waves, IME. :)

1/4"...?

1/4"...? That is a pretty big pod.. I think they are something else, but I'm not going to venture a guess without a photo. No one would describe a pod as a "worm,creature".

Pods are generally really, really small. We're talking 1/16" or less.

the one shaped like a c is an amphipod. Pods are great for your tank... help clean up waste and are food for many things.

I have some amphipods that would be an inch long if you uncurled them from their "C" shape. They can get big.

Thanks ALL! I have found a picture of amphipods, and yep, that's exactly what they are!

What about the little "flea" like creatures? They are all over the place!!

Those are pods too but they are the copepods (little guys). They too will wax and wane in numbers. Sometimes there's a million of them then they go away for awhile. Then they're back.

OK..I found some more wierd bugs.

These look like white stars or spiders. They are clinging to the glass. They are very small. 1mm at the most.

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom