Pics of what's taking over my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Two types of green algae/plant that are taking over my tank. One is like a vine with lillipads. The other is like a fern. I've been manually removing the fern one but it's a losing battle.
lillis.jpg

fern1.jpg

fern2.jpg

The reason for different coloration is due to flash vs no flash.

Maybe someone will have a solution to this problem but all I've found so far is that I need to manually remove it. I'll be getting a protein skimmer in the mail any day now so I hope that will help by removing excess nutrients.

Looks like grape caulerpa and fern caulerpa to me...grows like a weed. Manual removal is probably the only solution at this point. You could also try purchasing something that will eat it (i.e tang).

I believe they will my LFS had purple tangs in stock only 40 dollars couldnt resist becuase ive seen them for 80. Long and behold my tanks about 35 gallons short of requirment so back to the LFS he must go gonna trade in for a lemon peel or a flame planning on getting both.

Looks like grape and feather calupera to me as well. As mentioned, manual removal is the best. See if your LFS wants it. It is great at lowering NO3. Having this is not always a bad thing but it can get out of hand. Most tangs love the stuff.

I also agree that's grape caulerpa...unsure of the other stuff, but these guys are probably right.

I've indeed heard tangs should eat it. Don't let it get out of hand though...its not good when caulerpa goes sexual...releases toxins or something.

its not good when caulerpa goes sexual...releases toxins or something.
Maybe someone can elaborate on this. I was under the impression that "going sexual" ment that the macro releasees spores into the water causing a decrease in parameters.

Maybe he means "going sexual" is bad as in Michael Jackson
Sorry I could not resist. BAD!!!BAD!!!

I have 3 tangs that I cant keep enough of these calerpa in my tank. I pay up to 15.00 a bag for Grape calerpa for my tangs. Either get yourself some tangs esp. a yellow tang which forages on this stuff or you sell it to someone and make some money. Have a good day

Back
Top Bottom