Pistol shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bectan01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found these two little guys when moving my tanks yesterday. My 55g has been set up for two years and I've always heard the clicking but I've never seen them before. I kind of thought they would be bigger? Having been there so long? Sorry the pics are so bad, he question is what shall I do with them? Keep them? Are they harmless in my new reef? Or take them to the lfs, are they worth anything?

If you had them for 2 years with no ill effects I would say there probably safe. I would only keep one or at least re introduce them back in on opposite sides as they will probably fight if they meet up, jmo though.

Do you think there could be a mummy still somewhere? Or many more? The clicking was really loud! I expected to find a larger one, I actually suspected a mantis. I have lost two small fish in the last few years without a trace - are these guys fish killers?

Not of fish, they may pick off the occasional shrimp. They can be pretty loud too, even being so small

It's definitely a pistol shrimp. The one's I've seen are usually white and red striped but it's just another kind of pistol shrimp. As for keeping them, I've never kept them before so I wouldn't be able to help much there as for the fish going missing... it is a slight possibility since pistols eat pretty much anything from small crustacea to small fish. If they've been alive for that long and with very little casualties you must be doing something right without even knowing it. They might just be feeding off of leftover food. So why not I'd personally keep them. Definitely a cool shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom