Plant or Animal or Alien?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmedley2070

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any idea what these neat things are that are growing on my LR? I feed them algae chips and they seem to love them. They just started appearing about a month ago.
I just want to make sure I don't do anything that will kill them.

Thanks

Pete

Attachments

• whats_this_136.jpg
    whats_this_136.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 36
pmedley2070 said:
Is there such a thing as a bad anemone?

Pete

Absolutely bad. This isn't something you want in your tank. They spread insanely fast and will sting everything from corals to fish to mobile inverts. They should be eliminated early on to save yourself alot of trouble down the road. Injections of kalk work as well as there has been alot of good feed back from a product called Joe's Juice. http://joesjuice.com/

I used boiling water and a turkey baster to get rid of mine. Just make sure of 2 things..... 1. have a net to catch it when it falls off the rock ......
2. be carefull not to hit corals or any other livestock with the boiling water(directly)

I took Fluff's suggestion and got a bottle of Joes Juice. This stuff is as good as it said it was. In about three minutes the aptasia were all dead. It only took a little on each mouth and they were done for.

Pete

Hey Pete I chuckled at your comment that you have been feeding them! Not laughing at you, laughing with you. I have been there bro! ;) I am glad you got them though. Be on the lookout though for any that may pop up.

After you kill the big ones introduce a peppermint shrimp or two if your setup will support them.. They eat the small aiptasia and they are pretty cool critters to boot!

"Man I still have a lot to learn about what grows in my tank!"

That's the best thing about this hobby, you'll never know it all. It's a constant learning experience.

Also, you can have a piece of LR in your tank for years and wake up one day and there is something new growing on it.

I look at the reef tank as "Living Art".

Back
Top Bottom