Pleas ID this crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have this crab and a few like it that are very small. Should i remove him if i'm planning on having a reef tank. All i have right now are two damsels and live rock.

That looks like a clinging crab and if so, they are not reef safe because they are opportunistic little gobblers. If you have a QT or another tank you could just whip them in there and let them run around otherwise some LFS's will trade you stuff for them (funny I know)

I believe this crab will grab smaller fish if it gets a chance. Best thing to do is remove it ASAP and bring it in to the LFS.

It's a ruby mithrax crab.. just like the emeralds but not green obviously. They are great algae eaters and if it was me I'd keep it. I've yet to hear about someones mithrax crab capturing a fish.

Are you certain it is not a red ridged clinging crab?

mattmku, if you got a pic of the top of the carapace it would help solve the mystery. 8)

Mithrax crabs and clinging crabs are the same thing :?:

here's another pic. So if it is a clingning/mithrax, should i keep it in?

He was eating the alge off the rock. I thought was pretty cool

I can honestly say I have never seen that type f crab before. Looks pretty cool...if safe, I would keep it.

It's definitely a red mithrax.. I have one and it cleared my tank of bubble algae in a few days. Even the common green mithrax crabs are said to be capable of capturing small fish but lots of people have them and, like I said, I've yet to hear of anyone who had that happen.

is there anything else i need to feed him or will he be happy with the algae?

You could get some algae wafers but as long as there's algae in the tank it will be fine.

Yep, that's the fella... one more thing to add, make sure your rockwork is secure because they are surprisingly strong.

*waves hands* what I have been trying to say is,

If you read the article you will see that it is identified as M. forceps, the red cling crab, and is known as being not entirely reef safe.

It said it was "like" the mithrax, it did not say it "is" a mithrax. :?

I think I'll keep him for now. I'm not planning on actually setting up corals until my family installs a 180 gallon tank into the basement. As long as he doesn't threaten my fish he'll be fine.

I wish i was lucky enough for him to munch on my aptasia :roll:

snapcrackler, I know what you're saying :lol: What do you think the M stands for in M. forceps?

The common Emerald crab has exactly the same words of warning attached to it and yet they are sold as reef safe everywhere. It's the same thing just a different colour.

I have a few of them and don't like em, they are eating the purple off my rocks ! So... When I can I catch what I can...

Good enough for me. 8)

I got them all of of my tank finally, and when I did, lots of neat macro algaes started to grow. So it has been a positive experience for me to have them gone.

Oh yah and they ate tiny mushroom corals too before they had a chance to grow. :(

Strong guys though, I actually bent a green fishnet fighting with one that had a firm hold on a rock and didn't want to leave. If I had that much strength per pound I'd be lifting up subarus with one hand.

Back
Top Bottom